Overall Program Goals
- Upon completion of the program, the graduate will demonstrate competence in the various clinical disciplines integral to the practice of general dentistry in private and community based dental clinics.
- The graduate will be competent to fully evaluate the patient’s systemic and oral health, providing quality dental care based upon a well planned and well-sequenced treatment plan.
- The graduate will be competent to rationally judge the complexity of proposed care, and elect specialty referral when indicated and appropriate.
- The graduate will be competent to take complete responsibility for the patient’s comprehensive dental needs and coordinate treatment when other medical or dental health-care providers are involved.
- The graduate will be competent to enter the dental profession, having a sound appreciation of dental ethics.
- The graduate will be competent to deliver dental care in a safe and hazard-free environment for the patient and staff.
- The graduate will be competent in the area of practice management/administration, with insight into personnel issues, contracts for service, third party payment, business plans, staff development, and office management.