Overall Program Goals
- Upon completion of the educational program, the resident will demonstrate competence in the various clinical disciplines integral to the practice of general dentistry in private sector and community-based service The resident will act as a primary care provider for individuals and groups of patients. This includes: providing emergency and multidisciplinary comprehensive oral care, patient focused care coordinated by the general practitioner, directing health promotion and disease prevention and using advanced dental treatment modalities.
- The resident will be competent to fully evaluate the systemic and oral health of a wide variety of patients, including those with special needs, to plan and provide multidisciplinary oral health care based upon a well-planned and sequenced treatment
- The resident will be competent to rationally judge the complexity of proposed care, elect specialty referral when indicated and manage the delivery of care by applying concepts of patient and practice management and quality improvement that are responsive to a dynamic health care environment.
- The resident will be competent to take complete responsibility for the patient’s comprehensive dental needs and coordinate treatment when other medical or dental health-care providers are involved by functioning effectively in multiple health care environments within the interdisciplinary health care
- The resident will be competent to apply scientific principles to learning and oral health This includes evidence or outcomes-based clinical decision making and technology-based information retrieval systems.
- The resident will be competent to enter the dental profession, having a sound appreciation of dental professional ethics, lifelong learning, patient centered care, adaptability and acceptance of cultural diversity in professional practice, needs of the community and the importance of community
- The resident will be competent in the area of practice management/administration, with insight into personnel issues, contracts for service, third party payment, business plans, staff development, and office management.
The Gainful Employment Disclosure contains important information about the educational debt, earnings, and completion rates of students who attended the 2-year Advanced Education in General Dentistry (AEGD-Hialeah) program. This information is provided in accordance with U.S. Department of Education regulations.